The Texarkana Police Department held an awards ceremony on Tuesday, November 9, at 2:30 p.m. in the Texarkana Police Training Facility located in the Bi-State Criminal Justice Center.
During this ceremony, Chief Robert Harrison honored a number of department personnel, including recent and past Officers of the Quarter and the current Officer of the Year, a lifesaving award, and recent departmental retirees and promotions.
The ceremony began by recognizing the Officers of the Quarter and Officer of the year for 2010.
* The award for the 1st Quarter of 2010 went to Det. Lloyd Douglas. Det. Douglas was selected for being instrumental in the arrests of several subjects responsible for numerous robberies in the Texarkana area.
* The award for the 2nd and 3rd Quarter of 2010, and for also the Texarkana Arkansas Officer of the year of 2010, went to Corporal Ed Chattaway. Cpl. Chattaway was selected for his actions in two separate incidents that resulted in the apprehension and arrest of several robbery suspects of gaming arcades and convenience stores in both Texarkana Arkansas and Texas.
Next recognized, along with a plaque presentation, was two recent civilian employee retirees and two officer retirees.
* Wendell Warner served the Texarkana Arkansas Police Department as a communications specialist for over 23 years.
* Rita Adams served the agency for over 7 years as a records clerk.
* Sergeant Keith Barr, who served as a member of the Texarkana Arkansas Police Department for 13 years of service.
* Corporal Sonyah Tate, who served as a member of the Texarkana Arkansas Police Department for 21 years of service.
Officer Joe Rochelle and Officer Jeremy Gordon received the Lifesaving Award for their actions in assisting a male and his young son from a burning home. Officer Rochelle and Officer Gordon’s response to the fire and actions at the scene no doubt ensured the safety of the man and his young son.
The ceremony concluded with two promotions by Chief Harrison within the agency.
* Michael Mcquerrey, promoted to the rank of Lieutenant, has served TAPD for over 18 years. Mcquerrey was promoted to the rank of Sergeant in 1999, and served as supervisor in the patrol division, services division, and narcotics task force. During his time as a patrol officer, Mcquerrey served as a K-9 officer, in the crime suppression unit, and as a member of the TAPD honor guard.
* Dwight Mowery, promoted to the rank of Captain, has served TAPD for over 20 years. Mowery additionally served the Idabel police department and is a retired Navy veteran. Mowery was promoted to the rank of Sergeant in 1992 and to the rank of Lieutenant in 2000. Mowery has served throughout the agency including, the criminal investigation division, narcotics task force, and as K-9 supervisor. Captain Mowery completed the FBI National Academy in 2005. Captain Mowery is currently assigned as the patrol commander.
Thank you and you can visit the Texarkana Arkansas Police Department online at http://www.txkusa.org/arkpolice.
Officer Kristi Mitchell
Public Information Officer